Second Jury Meeting – 18.12.2012
On 18.12.2012 the first and only session of the international selection committee was held: Chairman – arch. Petar Dikov, chief architect of Sofia Municipality, members: Arch. Elena Parktiaval, Arch. Anna Tilova, Arch. Peter Torniov, Arch. Adam Hatvani, Arch. Andrei Velinov, Arch. George Katov, Arh.Aleksandar Bozhkov and observer – chief attorney Boris Milchev. The meeting was also attended by: Arch. Orlin Manolov and Arch. Pavel Yanchev – who prepared the assignment of the competition, and members of the technical committee appointed for the competition: Boryana Zafirova, urbanist Zlatko Terziev. Guest – Consultant – engineer Stoyan Bratoev, Managing director at Metropolitan PLC. Due to urgent commitments members of the original selection committee were missing: Arch. Bart Lens and
Arch. Eduardo Gutierrez.
AFTER DISCUSSING THE SELECTION COMMITTEE TOOK UNANIMOUSLY THE FOLLOWING RESOLUTIONS:
- First prize was awarded to the project led by architect Victor Jimenez and his team.
- Due to the specifics of the project in the architecture on the one hand and on the other – the advanced stage of development of the engineering of Metro station 20, the Contractor was advised to realize the project at Metro station 17, First metrodiameter of the Sofia metro (Ring Road). Negotiations should be started in January 2013 with architecture studio “Amin Taha Architects» headed by Victor Jimenez for the inclusion of the project’s parameters in the upcoming tender for the engineering of Metro station 17, as well as talks regarding the cost of
- Second prize was awarded to the project led by architect Alexander Shinolov.
- The Contractor was advised to put into effect the project at Station 20 from the First metrodiameter of the Sofia metro, by starting negotiations for procurement of the architectural
design by the end of 2012.
DOWNLOAD THE JURY PROTOCOL:
FINAL COMPETITION PROJECTS:
* * * * *
First Jury Meeting – 18.12.2011
On December 19, 2011 at Perform Business Center, the results of the Contest for an Architectural Project for Metro Station 20 of Metro Line 1 of the Sofia Metro were announced. Sofia chief architect and the chairman of the international jury for the contest, architect Petar Dikov, announced the winners. The undeniable quality of the submitted projects made the jury’s selection difficult, hence it awarded two first-place and one second-place prize.
First prize in the amount of 8,000 leva – architect Aleksandar Shinolov, Plovdiv, Bulgaria;
First prize in the amount of 8,000 leva – the team led by architect Victor Jimenes, from the studio ATA Ltd., London, UK;
Second prize in the amount of 4,000 leva – the team led by Mr. Kichul Lee, from the studio Architect-K, Seoul, South Korea
Honorable Mentions (no cash prize) were awarded to the final selection of projects:
- Michaela Zaharieva, FBarch, France
- Yuko Fukuma, SUPPOSE DESIGN OFFICE, Japan
- Gary Freedman, THE LANTERN, Netherlands
- Jose Antonio Sosa, Sosa + Alonso, Spain
- Luigi Serboli, Boschi + Serboli Architetti Associati, Italy
- Jose Manuel Jimenez Cao, Spain
- Stefan Popov, ARCHABITS +, Bulgaria
- Ioannis Ventourakis, BETAPLAN S.A., Greece,
- Daekwon Park, ANG, USA
In order to determine the categorical winner, recommendations were given for the further development of the two first-prize projects, with a view to their optimization in terms of technical implementation and financial adequacy, while preserving the project’s original impression. The authors of the projects will have an opportunity to make their improvements and send the projects to the jury for a second evaluation, which will be based on a joint meeting between the jury and the leadership of Metropolitan EAD in order to determine the final project to be implemented. Today the envelopes were opened in front of journalists and the names of the participants became clear.
The contest was launched by the Sofia Municipality and the Directorate for Architecture and Urban Planning, and co-organized by Sofia Architecture Week. One-hundred and thirty contest applications took part in it, with participants from over 15 countries in Europe, Asia and America. They will be displayed in an exhibit specially organized for the purposes of the event – in the galleries on the first floor of Perform Business Center. The exhibition will be open to the public on December 20-28 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The Decisions of the Jury
After a discussion, the jury made the following decisions:
1. To award 2 (two) first prizes to projects 016 (Victor Jimenes) and 088 (Aleksandar Shinolov) (sixteen and eighty-eight) in the amount of a reduced first prize of 8,000 (eight thousand) leva each.
2. To award a second prize to project 007 (seven) (Mr. Kichul Lee) in the amount of the original third prize – 4,000 (four thousand) leva.
To the assignor, the jury makes the following recommendations:
3. Projects 016 (Victor Jimenes) and 088 (Aleksandar Shinolov) should be re-assigned for further development at the level of draft projects, taking into account the jury’s comments on them.
4. After the reworking of the two first-place projects, they should be re-examined and the project for implementation should be selected.
5. For the purposes of making this selection, the assignor should ensure that the jury meets again and also holds at a joint meeting with the leadership of Metropolitan EAD in order to designate the final project for realization.
The jury makes the following recommendations to the first-place projects:
1. To project 016 (Victor Jimenes):
- Simplification of the concrete forms with the aim of easier technological implementation and the improved financial adequacy of the project.
- Optimization of the approaches from the street towards the foyer of the station (the existing ones should be more focused or new ones should be added).
- To preserve the original impression of the project – the greenery, visible concrete, view towards the platform and double height.
- To optimize the technical implementation, using the advantages and possibilities of concrete as a construction material.
- To get rid of the decorative concrete forms above the ground.
2. To project 088 (Aleksandar Shinolov):
- The glassing-in of the atriums to be functionally improved.
- Ensuring handicap access.
- To further develop the green environment and if possible to rethink the symmetrical positioning of the approaches to the metro station.
DOWNLOAD THE JURY PROTOCOL: